Monday, July 14, 2014

I Made It!

    Well, I made it. It’s been a week since I arrived at YWAM Perth, and quite a few things have happened...

    My flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne was delayed, so I spent the night in a hotel in Los Angeles. On the flight to Melbourne, my iPod completely disappeared. I looked for it everywhere and called Qantas once I arrived in Perth, but no one can find it. So if you’ve been wondering why I haven’t been posting any pictures, that’s my excuse, and a darn good one at that.

    In Perth, I’m living in a drafty older house with 11 other girls and 1 lukewarm shower. It’s a non-stop slumber party; hilarious, wonderful, and exhausting. I’ve settled into my routine of waking up at 5 AM, exercising, coming to breakfast, morning chores chopping vegetables in the kitchen, base worship, and then class until 12:30. After lunch, I work with the Property Ministry at YWAM for two hours, landscaping and doing odd, dirty jobs.

    Our classes are rigorous and exciting. Last week, we learned about hearing God’s voice in our everyday lives. The idea that God is a relational being who desires to converse with me is so exciting, and I can’t wait to apply more of what I learned in class in my daily quiet time.

    Monday nights we attend a workshop led by the Priceless Ministry that focuses on issues of human trafficking and injustice. Tuesday nights we have small groups with 3-4 other members of our DTS, Wednesday afternoons I have one-on-one discipleship with my small-group leader, Thursday nights we have a base-wide church service, and Friday nights we go out on evangelism throughout the city.

    There’s not much free time, but I have taken several trips into the city, gone running along the beautiful Swan River, and pet kangaroos at Heirisson Island. On Saturday we went to Fremantle, a suburb of Perth along the Indian ocean. We ate some fabulous fish and chips, toured the famous indoor market, and did a little thrift shopping.

    So far, I’m absolutely loving Australia. The people are friendly and welcoming, the climate is perfect when it’s not raining (which is almost all the time), and the architecture is a cool combo of California modern-eco and old-world European. I’ve tried Vegemite, which tastes like not-that-good liverwurst, and Tim-Tams, which taste like a dream an above-average Oreo might have, but better.

    Everything is new, different, and terrifying, but I’m overcome with thankfulness. I know God has brought me to this place and to these people for a reason, and I can’t wait to see His plans unfold. Right now, I feel like I’m on a roller-coaster, holding on for dear life but loving every minute. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers and I promise to post pictures as soon as I get a camera!               

4 comments:

  1. Ah! So happy you are posting and I cannot wait for pictures!! Box is on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can't wait to get that blanket!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's great to know you're keeping up with my adventures! I'm going to do my best to not keep anyone waiting too long to hear from me. Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete