Thursday, July 17, 2014

Heirisson Island

   A few members of the Priceless DTS and I took a stroll down to Heirisson Island the other day. The other YWAMers call it kangaroo island because it is home to several lazy, tame kangaroos. Two miles from the main YWAM base along the Swan River, we came to a gate with a tantalizing sign advising us not to feed a certain species of marsupial.

  
Once inside, we walked across a field to where the kangaroos were, sleeping under some bushes. They lay there munching grass as I pet them and squealed about how soft they were. They barely even looked up when I snapped my cliche kangaroo selfie, but hey, when in Australia...


   There were only three kangaroos, which seemed like a pathetic number for a place called "kangaroo island," so I set out to find more. Surely they were behind those bushes or past that stand of trees, but I trekked around the whole island, which is a lot less impressive than it sounds, and didn't see any more kangaroos. I felt slightly cheated, but then again, how often do you get to pet a kangaroo? All in all, it was a ton of fun and I got to cross something of my embarrassingly touristy bucket list. If you're ever in Perth, I suggest you stop by and take your own selfaroo (and yes, I just made that word up). 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment